Monday, September 28, 2009

The Shoulder Surgery...

I have a little more time now to explain a little about the shoulder surgery Danny had on Friday. The doctor called it a "classic Bankart repair". Basically, Danny's labrum was torn. When surgery was performed, the torn labrum of the Bankart lesion was reattached to the socket of the shoulder. This was done arthroscopically; but that's pretty much all we know right now. I didn't get much of a chance to talk to the doctor after the surgery so we are anxious to talk to him tomorrow for Danny's post-op checkup.

As for my end of the surgery, I had been a little nervous since his knee surgery. Not only did EVERYONE tell us that the shoulder surgery was much, MUCH more painful than the knee. I was also worried about Danny going under with the anesthesia again. Last time it took him 50 minutes to wake up after he was taken to recovery. I know, for some that number doesn't sound like very long. But most people wake up almost instantaneously. Everyone called Danny a "light-weight" with the anesthesia. He is just SO sensitive to it. Plus, they (the doctors) have deduced that his fever (the one that lasted a whole week) last time was an effect of the anesthesia because he is so sensitive. Therefore, I was quite nervous of the post-op effects of the anesthesia.

This time I was waiting for over two hours while Danny was "in" recovery. And every second of that time made me more nervous of how his body was handling the anesthesia. When they finally called me back, they told me that it took him 30 minutes to wake up this time. Yes, that is less time than last time, but they also gave me one more lovely piece of information about what the anesthesia does to him. I found out that both times Danny came out of surgery, he was not breathing on his own and it took them the full time to get him to start breathing on his own. On top of everything, for the first 12 hours at home, Danny says he has to CONCENTRATE on breathing because if he lets himself relax, he catches himself not breathing.

Again, everything is fine and he is doing pretty well considering he has had two surgeries in three weeks. I have just wanted to record these experiences since Friday.

Danny does have another fever so we are trying to stay on top of it with tylenol and pain killers. I personally am hoping it doesn't last for a week like the last time - as I'm sure Danny feels the same. He is still doing physical therapy for his knee and he will start PT for his shoulder soon as well. His knee seems to be doing really well. He is able to walk slowly by himself if he has his knee-brace on. So I only have to be by his side when he doesn't have his brace on.

I am very grateful for everyone who has helped us out and supported us. Our neighbor was so amazing to bring us dinner on Friday and it somehow lasted all weekend long. It was such a good dinner for Danny too! Mashed potatoes and gravy tasted so good to him and it helped with his nausea on Friday. We feel so blessed with wonderful friends, family, and even fairly good health.

5 comments:

VA Bradshaws said...

do you need someone to babysit while you go to his dr apt tomorrow? let me know.

Melissa said...

oh my goodness! That is scary how he reacts to the anesthesia! I"m glad he is okay!! We'll keep you guys in our prayers! Good luck with everything!

Darci said...

Wow! Sounds like you are going through a lot! Wish I could be closer to help. Hang in there!

Megan B ♥ said...

Holy smokes!!! I know how scary it is to have a anesthetic lightweight in the family.... we have a tiny one over here and it's FRIGHTENING. Come up this weekend and relax a little! We'll feed you, let the boys watch a game, let the kids play at the park, etc. Take a load off! You guys need a BREAK!

Kayla said...

I'm happy to hear the good report too. When this is all over and Danny's all healed up you guys deserve another vacation. And you should treat yourself to the spa or something!!!