Friday, June 03, 2011

Singing My Baby To Sleep

Last night Ellie did not want to go to bed. She kept saying, "Wanna hold you!"

I finally pointed out to her that her baby needed to sleep too. Because, of course, her baby was very tired and needed to get some rest. To this she said, "I sing her to sleep."

Mom: "You want to sing her to sleep? What song are you going to sing?"

Ellie: "Twinkle Star."

Mom: "Good idea! Maybe you should sing your sunbeam song too."

Ellie: "Yes."

Mom: "And maybe, 'I Am A Child Of God'."

Ellie: "Yes."

Mom: "Ok... You sing to her til she falls asleep. I love you, Ellie."

Ellie: "Too, Mom." (She always just says the last word to that phrase.)

I went out of the bedroom and listened. She started with Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, singing as loud as she could. She always gets stuck on the next song and all I could hear was... "A sunBEAM, a sunBEAM! A sunBEAM, a sunBEAM! A sunBEAM, a sunBEAM!" By the time she got to her final number, I could tell she was getting tired. She quietly sang the last song and then all was quiet.

Until about an hour later... when she woke up crying cause now she wanted Daddy. Oh well... It was worth a try. :)

2 comments:

The Francis Family said...

That is so sweet. It was the perfect story, until she woke up again. Welcome to reality!

Terry said...

Everytime I read your post it just makes me warm and fuzzy all over. Love you Ellie!
Grandpa & Grandma B